1. Kazunari Ozasa, June Won, Simon Song and Mizuo Maeda
Artificial Interaction between Two Isolated Micro-Algae Populations for Autonomous
Pattern and Rhythm Formation.
2. Israel Tabarez-Paz, Isaac Rudomin and Hugo Pérez
Support Vector Machine and spiking neural networks for for data driven prediction of crowd character movement.
3. Roberto Ulloa and Tom Froese
Nobility-targeting raids among the Classic Maya: Cooperation in scale-free networks
persists under tournament attack when population size fluctuates.
4. Kazuaki Kojima, Reiji Suzuki and Takaya Arita
Equality seekers or timid monopolists: Social structure affects the evolution of
5. Martin Cenek and Spencer Dahl
Towards Emergent Design: Analysis, Fitness and Heterogeneity of Agent Based Models Using Geometry of Behavioral Spaces Framework.
Cooperation and Collective Behavior
6. Peter Andras
Social Learning, Environmental Adversity and the Evolution of Cooperation.
7. Chris Marriott and Jobran Chebib
Finding a Mate with Eusocial Skills.
8. Fuki Ueno and Takaya Arita
Small-world property promotes the evolution of distributive altruism.
Learning and Memory
9. Peter Bentley, Alexander Kurashov and Soo Ling Lim
Higher Order Cognition using Computers: Learning Abstract Concepts with Recursive Graph- based Self Organizing Maps.
10. Julien Hubert and Takashi Ikegami
How long did it last? Memorizing interval timings in a simple robotic task.
11. Mikaela Leas, Emily Dolson, Riley Annis, Joshua Nahum, Laura Grabowski and Charles Ofria
The Prisoner’s Dilemma, Memory, and the Early Evolution of Intelligence
12. Héctor Sánchez, Edgar Vallejo and Charles Taylor
PajaroLoco: A suite of programs to study complex adaptive properties of animal language. An example of Cassin’s vireo syntax network.
13. Neil Vaughan
Visual Navigation in Simulated Pigeons.
14. Jesus Espinal-Enriquez, Raúl Alejandro Mejía-Pedroza and Enrique Hernandez-Lemus
A Boolean network model for invasive thyroid carcinoma.
15. Julio G. Arriaga, Richard Hedley, Edgar Vallejo and Charles Taylor
Learning Cassin´s Vireo (Vireo cassinii) syntax through grammatical inference.
16. Mihail Krastev, Angelika Sebald and Susan Stepney
Emergent Bonding Properties in the Spiky RBN AChem.
Theory and Measures
17. José Castro
A Bottom-Up Approach to Machine Ethics
18. Yesid Madrid, Carlos Gershenson and Nelson Fernandez
Complexity and Structural Properties in Scale-free Networks
Evolvability and Open-ended evolution.
19 Matthew Setzler and Eduardo Izquierdo
Evolvability of Minimally Cognitive Agents.
20. David Shorten and Geoff Nitschke
The Evolution of Evolvability in Evolutionary Robotics.
21 David Medernach, Simon Carrignon, René Doursat, Taras Kowaliw, Jeannie Fitzgerald and Conor Ryan
Evolution of Heterogeneous Cellular Automata in fluctuating environments.
Language and Cultural Evolution
22. Chris Marriott and Jobran Chebib
Modelling the Evolution of Gene-Culture Divergence.
23. Xun Li and Risto Miikkulainen
Evolving Artificial Language through Evolutionary Reinforcement Learning.
24. Naoaki Chiba, Reiji Suzuki and Takaya Arita
How ecological inheritance can affect the evolution of complex niche construction in a 2D physical simulation.
25. Mohiul Islam and Peter Grogono
Modeling the Evolution of Mimicry.
26. Georg Martius, Rafael Hostettler, Alois Knoll and Ralf Der
Self-organized control of an tendon driven arm by differential extrinsic plasticity.
27 Adam Stanton and Alastair Channon
Neuroevolution of Feedback Control for Object Manipulation by 3D Agents.
28. Michal Joachimczak, Rishemjit Kaur, Reiji Suzuki and Takaya Arita
Spiral autowaves as minimal, distributed gait controllers for soft-robots.
29. Martin Hinsch, Athanasius F M Maree and Veronica Grieneisen
Robotic cell surface mechanics
30. Hyobin Kim and Hiroki Sayama
The Relationship between Microscopic and Collective Properties in Gene Regulatory Network-based Morphogenetic Systems.
31. JJ Merelo, Paloma de Las Cuevas, Pablo García Sánchez and Mario Garcia Valdez
The human in the loop: volunteer-based metacomputers as a socio-technical system
32. Fernando Bermejo, Ezequiel Di Paolo and Claudia Arias
Listening to a world transformed: Perception in an inverted acoustic field.
Self-Optimization and Automation
33 Babak Hodjat, Hormoz Shahrzad and Risto Miikkulainen
Distributed Age-Layered Novelty Search.
34 Michael J. Wiser, Louise Mead, Jim Smith and Robert Pennock
Comparing Human and Automated Evaluation of Open-Ended Student Responses to Questions of Evolution.
35 Sean Luke, Katherine Russell and Bryan Hoyle
36 Vadim Bulitko
Evolving Real-time Heuristic Search Algorithms.
Origins of Life and Protocells
37 Steen Rasmussen, Adi Constantinescu and Carsten Svaneborg
Protocells: what we have learned about minimal life and evolvability.
38 John McCaskill, Thomas Maeke, Lukas Straczek, Jürgen Oehm, Pierre Mayr, Abhishek Sharma, Asbjørn Müller, Norman Packard, Steen Rasmussen and Uwe Tangen
Microarray of programmable electrochemically active elements.
39. Yoshihiro Sakatani and Norikazu Ichihashi
Towards the construction of a DNA genome replication system for an artificial cell.
Late Break Abstracts Posters
40. Jitka Cejkova, Dominik Svara, Martin M. Hanczyc and Frantisek Stepanek
Shape changing multi-armed droplets.
41. Oliver López-Corona and Pablo Padilla
The emergence of cooperation from entropic principles and sustainability.
42. Elvia Ramírez-Carrillo, Oliver López Corona, Fernando de León-González, Gilberto Vela Correa and Alejandro Frank
Soil Respiration as a Proxy for Ecosystem Health.
43. Changduk Yang
Polydiacetylene-based biosensor for colorimetric detection of clinical DNA.
44. Hye Jin Cho, Kyu Cheol Lee and Changduk Yang
PVDF-g-PtBA Copolymers for Triboelectric Nanogenerators with High Dielectric Constant.
45. Francesco Corucci, Nicholas Cheney, Hod Lipson, Cecilia Laschi and Josh Bongard
Evolving swimming soft-bodied creatures information.
46. Hiroki Sayama, Ali Jazayeri and J. Scott Turner
A Finite State Machine-Based Approach for Detecting Interactions among Individuals with Different States in a Biological Collective.
47. Maitri Mangal, Graham Wilcox, Haashim Shah, Hiroki Sayama and Carol Reynolds
How Old Should You Be To Become a Father? Reconstructing the Fitness Function over Paternal Age.
48. Chiara Picchi, Fabrizio Cinelli, Rodrigo Rubio and Francesco Corucci
Artificial Life inspired Architecture: a sustainable and adaptive treehouses ecosystem in the Chilean forest.
49. Erick Pérez and Tom Froese
A network model of the appearance of biologically irresolvable conflict in prehistoric hunter-gatherer groups.
50. Matthew Dale, Julian Miller, Susan Stepney and Martin Trefzer
Modelling and Training Unconventional in-Materio Computers using Bio-Inspired Techniques.
51. Yuliya Betkher, Vitor Santos and Nuno Nabais
Impact of ALife Simulation of Darwin’s and Lamarck’s Theories of Evolution on Life and Society.
52. Rob Mills, Martina Szopek, Michael Bodi, Thomas Schmickl and Luís Correia
On the timescale of interactions in bio-hybrid systems.
53. Reiji Suzuki
Complex systems approach to temporal soundscape partitioning in bird communities.
54. Marco Montalva Medel, Fabiola Lobos, Thomas Ledger and Eric Goles
Expanding the limits of bistability modelling: a Boolean-based continuous representation of the lac operon regulation dynamics.
55. Nathanael Aubert-Kato, Olaf Witkowski, Erik Hoel and Nicolas Bredeche
Agency in Messy Chemistries: Information-Theoretic Measures vs. Strategies Case Study in a Reaction-Diffusion Model.
56. Jorge Ivan Campos Bravo and Tom Froese
Multiple action switching in embodied agents evolved for referential communication.
57. Alexandra Penn, Inman Harvey, Erik Hom and Claudio Avignone Rossa
Emergent Homeostasis in a Synthetic Mutualism: modelling the interplay of abiotic and biotic interactions in an experimental proto-ecosystem.
58. Eneas Aguirre-Von-Wobeser, Juan Toledo-Roy, Ana Leonor Rivera, Valeria Souza and Alejandro Frank
Complex modelling of bacterial interactions using an agent-based model.
59. Dobromir Dotov and Tom Froese
A set theoretic analysis shows different forms of closure in autopoietic theory, computational autopoiesis, and (M,R)-systems.
60. Eiko Matsuda and Takashi Ikegami
Synesthesia in Artificial Life
61. Leticia Cruz and Tom Froese
An Evolutionary Robotic Model of Explicit Agency Detection.
62 Mario A. Zarco-López and Tom Froese
Can we incorporate sleep-like interruptions into evolutionary robotics.