The First Workshop on NLP for Indigenous Languages of the Americas (AmericasNLP): First Call for PapersEsta es la versión inglesa. La versione en español se encuentra aquí.
The First Workshop on NLP for Indigenous Languages of the Americas (AmericasNLP) will be co-located with the 2021 Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (NAACL-HLT 2021), which is currently scheduled to be held in Mexico City, Mexico, from June 6th to June 11th, 2021. AmericasNLP will take place on June 11th.
The goal of the workshop is to encourage and increase the visibility of work on the indigenous languages of the Americas. It aims to encourage research on NLP, computational linguistics, corpus linguistics and speech for indigneous languages, to connect researchers and professionals from underrepresented communities and native speakers of endangered languages with the ACL community, and, more generally, to promote machine learning approaches suitable for low-resource languages.
We invite submission of long (8 pages) and short papers (4 pages) on substantial, original, and unpublished research. Additionally, we invite submission of non-archival extended abstracts (2 pages), technical reports (8 pages), and work which has been presented at other venues (in the format of the original publication). Submissions do not need to describe work on native languages directly, as long as it is clear why those can benefit from the described approaches. All submissions must use the NAACL-HLT 2021 style files and formating. Areas of interest include but are not limited to:
- Creation of datasets for NLP applications
- Incorporation of external knowledge into neural systems
- Linguistic typology and the use of typological features for NLP
- Transfer learning, meta-learning, and active learning
- Weakly supervised, semi-supervised, and unsupervised learning
- Machine translation of low-resource languages
- Morphology and phonology of low-resource languages
- NLP applications for indigenous languages of the Americas
Start of the anonymity period: February 15, 2021 Submission deadline (all submission types): March 15, 2021Extended: March 20, 2021
- Notification of acceptance: April 15, 2021
- Camera ready papers due: April 26, 2021
- Workshop: June 11, 2021
- All deadlines are 11.59 pm UTC -12h.
Like all *ACL events, we accept submissions in English. However, we also accept submissions in Spanish and Portuguese and will assist authors in translating accepted work into English (translated papers will appear in both languages in the proceedings).
Papers, abstracts, and technical reports can be submitted via softconf.